WHO confirms polio outbreak in Syria

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail China.org.cn, October 30, 2013
Adjust font size:

The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO)?Tuesday confirmed 10 cases of polio in conflict-stricken Syria, adding that health authorities in the country and neighbouring nations have already begun a comprehensive response to the outbreak.

UNICEF has joined the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners to launch a huge immunization campaign against polio in Syria. [UNICEF] 

In a briefing to reporters in Geneva, WHO Communications Officer Oliver Rosenbauer said that out of 22 reported cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP), 10 had been confirmed as being the result of Wild Polio Virus Type 1. The remaining 12 cases are still being investigated.

The cases were initially reported on 17 October in the Deir Al Zour province in the north-east region of Syria. Due to the protracted conflict, which has displaced millions, Syria had already been considered at high-risk for vaccine-preventable diseases. However, the country has not experienced a case of polio since 1999.

Polio, whose virus enters the body through the mouth and multiplies in the intestine attacking the nervous system, is highly infectious and can cause total paralysis in a matter of hours.

Initial symptoms are fever, fatigue, headache, vomiting, and stiffness in the neck and pain in the limbs. One in 200 infections leads to irreversible paralysis and among those paralyzed, five to 10 per cent die when their breathing muscles become immobilized.

Mr. Rosenbauer said the next step was to look at the isolated viruses and identify where they came from, to shed light on the source of the outbreak.

The 22 people who have been tested are children, mostly toddlers less than two years old. All of them appeared to be under or unimmunized, with some having received one dose of a vaccine and others not receiving any vaccination at all. Mr. Rosenbauer said the children came down with fever and were then paralysed.

WHO spokesperson Glenn Thomas added that health authorities in Syria and neighbouring countries had already begun the planning and implementation of the comprehensive outbreak response.

Meanwhile, a UN spokesperson in New York reported today that Anthony Lake, the Executive Director of UNICEF, ended a two-day visit to Damascus, in which he said that the Syrian Government and agency had agreed on the importance of reaching hundreds of thousands of children in some of the worst-affected parts of the war-torn country with life saving vaccines, including those against polio.

He said that Mr. Lake said that immunizing children is in its very nature non-political and has no connection to any military considerations. Mr. Lake said that, with cases of polio now emerging in Syria for the first time since 1999, vaccinating children against polio is an urgent and critical priority for Syria and for the whole world.

Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter
主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲国产精品一区二区久久| 国产91精品久久久久久| 99热精品国产麻豆| 成人国产一区二区三区| 久久亚洲国产精品五月天 | 国产浮力影院第一页| 992tv国产人成在线观看| 好男人资源在线观看好| 中文字幕在线久热精品| 日本免费高清一本视频| 久久综合日韩亚洲精品色| 欧美三级全部电影观看| 亚洲日韩精品无码一区二区三区 | 香蕉视频在线观看免费| 国产欧美日韩一区二区加勒比 | 国产麻豆成人传媒免费观看| jlzz大全高潮多水老师| 精品欧洲AV无码一区二区男男| 国产人成精品免费视频| 99精品众筹模特私拍在线| 国产粗话肉麻对白在线播放| 2022天天躁夜夜躁西| 国产高清视频在线播放www色| chinesefree国语对白| 好紧我太爽了视频免费国产| 中国黄色a级片| 扁豆传媒在线入口| 丰满少妇大力进入| 日本xxxxbbbb| 久久久久久99| 日日噜狠狠噜天天噜av| 久久久久久久久久久久久久久 | 青青青青草原国产免费| 在线观看日韩视频| porn在线精品视频| 好男人资源在线观看好| 一本一本久久a久久精品综合 | 看久久久久久a级毛片| 免费看美女吃男生私人部位| 精品久久久无码中文字幕边打电话 | 四虎国产永久在线观看|