Home / International / Opinion Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read | Comment
UN chief says encouraged by discussions with Myanmar authorities
Adjust font size:

The UN estimates that aid has reached about one million people, not including the Myanmar government's own emergency response. As many as 2.4 million people are thought to have been severely affected by the cyclone, which struck the Southeast Asian country on May 5.

Holmes said there had been some progress on access for international aid workers and better logistical arrangements were now in place, particularly after Ban met last Friday with Senior-General Than Shwe.

Holmes, who also serves as UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, called for more efforts to help the victims.

"A lot of people have received either nothing or not enough. That's why we need to step up the aid effort," he said.

In Geneva, a spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that between 10 and 15 international flights are coming in every day to Yangon, Myanmar's largest city, and that air-bridge flights from the logistics hub at Bangkok's Don Muang Airport to Yangon are now fully operational.

In total, 169 international relief flights have arrived so far in Myanmar.

Elizabeth Byrs, the OCHA spokeswoman, expressed the hope that the UN World Food Program (WFP) would be able to start operating 10 helicopters in Myanmar as soon as possible, after the government gave the go-ahead to their deployment.

So far, WFP and its partners have delivered over 3,000 tons of food aid reaching some 460,000 people, Byrs said.

During Ban's latest trip to Asia, the UN chief also visited China's Yingxiu, a town at the epicenter of an 8.0 magnitude earthquake that struck on May 12.

During the trip, Ban extended his "heartfelt condolences to the people of Myanmar and of China, expressing my admiration for the courage and resilience of the survivors and all those trying to help them."

(Xinhua News Agency May 28, 2008)

     1   2  


Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Read
Comment
Pet Name
Anonymous
China Archives
Related >>
- Myanmar: 3-day mourning for cyclone victims
- Myanmar cyclone death toll rises to 77,738
- China sends relief supplies to Myanmar
- Another cyclone to form near Myanmar: official forecast
- More international relief supplies flow in Myanmar
- UN launches US$187 mln appeal for cyclone-hit Myanmar
- UN: get aid into Myanmar quickly
Most Viewed >>
- South Korean President kicks off China visit
- Phoenix sends pictures from Mars
- China, ROK upgrade partnership
- McCain distances himself from Bush's war policies
- German N24 TV publishes merged photo on its website
> Korean Nuclear Talks
> Reconstruction of Iraq
> Middle East Peace Process
> Iran Nuclear Issue
> 6th SCO Summit Meeting
Links
- China Development Gateway
- Foreign Ministry
- Network of East Asian Think-Tanks
- China-EU Association
- China-Africa Business Council
- China Foreign Affairs University
- University of International Relations
- Institute of World Economics & Politics
- Institute of Russian, East European & Central Asian Studies
- Institute of West Asian & African Studies
- Institute of Latin American Studies
- Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies
- Institute of Japanese Studies
主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩中文字幕视频在线观看| 特级毛片A级毛片免费播放| 国产成人精品实拍在线| 91在线丨亚洲| 天堂网2018| 一本大道在线无码一区| 抱着cao才爽| 久久伊人精品一区二区三区| 欧美三级中文字幕完整版| 亚洲欧美在线精品一区二区| 狼友av永久网站免费观看| 午夜欧美精品久久久久久久| 被夫上司持续入侵大桥未久| 国产成人免费观看| 色之综合天天综合色天天棕色| 国产精品青草久久久久福利99| av片在线播放| 女人被免费视频网站| 中国内地毛片免费高清| 无人视频在线观看免费播放影院| 久久天天躁狠狠躁夜夜2020一| 最近最好的中文字幕2019免费| 亚洲国产日产无码精品| 欧美牲交a欧美牲交aⅴ免费下载 | 国内精品久久久久伊人av| a级片在线观看视频| 好男人在线社区www在线视频免费| 中国成人在线视频| 成全视频免费高清| 中文字幕在线日韩| 无套内射无矿码免费看黄| 久久久久777777人人人视频| 日本精品一区二区三区在线视频| 久久精品韩国三级| 日韩精品欧美视频| 么公的又大又深又硬想要| 日韩黄色免费观看| 国产成人精品999在线观看 | 日韩在线一区二区| 久久精品人妻中文系列| 波多野结衣中文字幕一区二区三区 |